Sunday, April 3, 2016

Tiny House, Tiny Cooking


Let's get one thing out on the table: in my opinion, a "tiny house" is the hipster version of an RV.

And I am not a hipster.

So yes, we live in an RV- by choice by the way- because we had a plan to travel around the country last year. And we made a good effort, traveling up and down California for the better part of the year. I wrote articles for money and The Husband drove and fixed things. It was a good set-up..




Then I was offered a job. A real one- for the first time in 20 years.

It wasn't planned, but it's a great opportunity to stay near friends and family for a while (who knows how long I will last in an office?) live inexpensively at the beach, and save money for...a bigger RV!

To be honest, we have our names on a list for a cool apartment near the beach, but someone will have to die before we move in...and since it's a 55+ apartment, I say the odds are decent...if we want to stick around that is.

I suppose we would look cooler if we lived in a RV park in a tiny house, but I like MY tiny house. It's vintage- 30+ years old, and it has all the comforts of home.

My bathroom is small but it fits everything I need. I actually have too much space if you can believe it, and it's right next to my bedroom- as in one foot away- so the sink can be used to store my wine when I'm on a writing binge and can't be disturbed.



I love my oven so much I can hardly stand it. At first I was freaked because I I burned the first cake I baked and the cookies, but then I read a tip on Pinterest to place a pizza stone in the oven. I asked my friend Val to find me a stone- she's a great shopper- and she found one the next day!



As you can see I use it a lot AND it's very artistic looking. (And yes, Jeannie C. I clean my oven!)

Also, my fridge is just like yours- only smaller. I have ice trays and lobster mac & cheese balls in the freezer and wine and veggies in the fridge. Oh, and some yummy French soft cheese. What more do I need?




My crock-pot comes in handy as well, and I'm damn happy I don't have one of those giant ones you use to feed everyone at a super bowl party.


I just place it into one of my tiny stainless steel sinks so the place doesn't burn down, and go off to the beach, oops- I mean work- and eight hours later I've got dinner!




Seriously, other than a little more closet space and a better spot for the toaster (I'm on my second one- the first one died when three pens fell into it and I made toast. Inky toast. The one I have now only had a large hoop earring fall into it which apparently does not harm toast,) we're all set.

So other than an RV with a silly facade that looks like an outhouse being towed down the freeway, (I had an actual house for 25 years. I'm over it.) I like this tin can of a house. All 30 feet of it. It has six wheels, lots of windows and a screen door to keep the flies out.





Oh and the best part? It's paid for!




No comments:

Post a Comment