Friday, January 18, 2019

The Wandering Widow- Day 20

Today I drove over the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge- the 10th highest bridge in the nation.



Without having an anxiety attack. Or sweaty palms. Or just stopping in the middle. (Oakland Bay Bridge...)

I have a fear of bridges, giant overpasses, and heights. I'm not sure when it started, maybe 9/11 when I watched the towers fall, knowing I had been inside the Windows on the World restaurant? Menopause? Old age? I don't know!

This fear is known as gephyrophobia (pronounced jeff-i-ro-fo-bia) and it sucks. 

But today, I walked back and forth over it. I felt fine. No fear. No sweaty palms.





Of course, I was talking (quietly) to you-know-who about it. I was kind of bragging because I used to close my eyes when he drove over a high freeway or bridge. (Not the Golden Gate- no clue why.)

I was proud of my accomplishment. And then, a young couple asked me to take their picture.

They were so happy and then they told me they had just got engaged. On the bridge.

Well, that just about did me in and I wished them as much happiness as I had for almost 39 years.



Then, with tears in my eyes, I drove back over the bridge. I hope he was watching.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment